Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Discussion of "'after life"has begun!


"You mean I can forget everything? Why that is heaven!"
The first time I watched 'after life' was with my mother years ago and we both loved it. When I created this blog and I was looking for my first film to post she and I thought of this one but could not remember the name of it. Last month I was lucky to come across it randomly while exploring .
I watched it with my partner David about a week ago and since then have found myself pondering the question that all the characters in the film had to answer. If I could choose only one memory to take with me into the after life (were I to believe in such a thing which I do not) what would that one memory be? As David and I hiked this last weekend through the wintery woods of New England we spent most of our time thinking about our lives and then sharing some of our peak moments. We then discussed whether we might choose one of these memories and if yes, no or possibly-why or why not?
Having spent many hours now searching for that"money shot" I can commiserate with the struggle that so many of the film's characters underwent to reach their conclusion. And they only had three days!
If any of you have thought about this since watching the movie would you care to share a part of that process with the rest of us? Do you think you would be able to narrow it down to one if push came to shove? Did you (or do you think you would?) find the effort painful, pleasurable or as in my case a mixture of both?
Any and all responses to this film on whatever level would be most appreciated.

No comments: